Wellness Report Blog Wellness Report - More of My Findings By Donald M. Petersen Jr. Wellness Report Blog Facebook and Twitter

Oxygen for Cluster Headaches

January 7, 2010
By

For those who have never had one, a cluster headache can be excruciatingly painful. A recent study examined the use of “High-flow oxygen” for cluster headache sufferers at the onset of their symptoms. Patients who “inhaled oxygen at 100%, 12 L/min, delivered by face mask, for 15 minutes at the start of an attack” of their cluster headache were either pain free or experienced a substantial reduction in pain in 15 minutes or less.

Cluster headaches are usually treated with prescription drugs. The discovery of the effectiveness of oxygen for these headaches is another example that there are safe and effective alternatives to drugs, even in very severe cases. These findings should encourage patients and providers alike to seek non-drug solutions to their health challenges. Chiropractic care is an obvious beginning to being healthy and drug-free.

See Abstract

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “ Oxygen for Cluster Headaches ”

1. Dan Pomiecko on March 31, 2012 at 10:48 am

I gotta bookmark this web site it seems really beneficial .

2. Carol on December 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

A chiropractor clued me in about 5 years ago that dehydration can be a trigger for migraines. This was life changing news to me. Watching my water intake (yep, a drug-free solution) has almost completely eliminated my migraines which are something I’ve suffered with for years. Whenever I feel a headache coming on I reflect back on my water intake for the week and get to drinking! No kidding!

3. broward college financial aid on October 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm

in the United States the Federal Direct Student Loan Program (FDLP) include consolidation loans that allow students to consolidate Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans .

4. Robin Keoshi on October 17, 2011 at 6:58 am

Hey i did enjoy your blog i think it was pretty informative . Let me know if you have any future updates thanks .

5. […] From Pub Med by way of Dynamic Chiropractic. […]

6. […] From Pub Med by way of Dynamic Chiropractic. […]

7. Todd Lloyd, DC on January 8, 2010 at 11:02 am

12L/m is a lot! The most I’ve seen administered in a chiropractic office is 6L/m Does anyone here have this much flow in their office? Do you use a concentrator or a tank?

Todd

8. Joseph Medina, DC on January 7, 2010 at 6:28 pm

As I understand it, oxygen (through an O2 tank or an O2 concentrator) is considered a drug by the FDA.

In Ohio, DCs are unable to provide oxygen through a concentrator due to the FDA ruling. (This crazy, because that oxygen isn’t even at 100%) yet it’s still considered a “drug”.

Yet…there are “oxygen bars” (owned by unlicensed operators) where anyone can go in and breathe oxygen through an O2 concentrator. Go figure.

Is something wrong with this picture?