Wellness Report Blog Wellness Report - More of My Findings By Donald M. Petersen Jr. Wellness Report Blog Facebook and Twitter

Bottle Feeding May Contribute to Obesity

December 29, 2011
By

Experts are discovering that obesity can begin even before children enter elementary school. A recent study found that bottle feeding can actually contribute to obesity in children. According to the study “the prevalence of obesity at 5.5 years was 22.9% in children who at 24 months were using a bottle and was 16.1% in children who were not.”

Breastfeeding is considered to be the best choice for children’s health on all levels. According to the American Dietetic Association:

“Breastfeeding is associated with a reduced risk of otitis media, gastroenteritis, respiratory illness, sudden infant death syndrome, necrotizing enterocolitis (death of intestinal tissue), obesity, and hypertension. Breastfeeding is also associated with improved maternal outcomes, including a reduced risk of breast and ovarian cancer, type 2 diabetes, and postpartum depression.”

In addition, mothers who breastfeed their also reduce their risk of vascular changes associated with future cardiovascular disease compared to those mothers who do not breast feed for at least three months.

If bottle feeding is required, it should not go beyond 12 – 14 months. After that point, it is considered prolonged us and may contribute the child being overweight or obese. Children who continue to use a bottle often consume larger amounts of calories than they need. Prolonged bottle use is also suspected as a cause of both iron deficiency and “baby bottle tooth decay.” Children who are given a bottle at night are particularly liable to develop baby bottle tooth decay.

Parents are encouraged to breast feed exclusively if at all possible and only use a bottle when necessary.

Position of the American Dietetic Association Promoting Breast Feeding

Cardiovascular Risk Study

Read the Paper on bottle feeding and obesity

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “ Bottle Feeding May Contribute to Obesity ”

1. Tubi Style Exhaust on August 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm

You know that you want to make money online. You must have this goal or you wouldn’t even be interested in internet marketing. When it comes to the details on how you are going to do it, you may still be trying to figure it out. The truth is that earning money over the internet is more complicated than simply making the decision to use the internet to turn a profit. Even if you have no knowledge of how to run an internet business, there are many ways you can get started quickly. Let’s look at some good ways to get started with online marketing.

2. geilepetra on March 23, 2012 at 7:19 am

You can definitely see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.

3. http://andcarinsurancequotes.com on March 20, 2012 at 8:43 am

Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my web site so i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to to find issues to enhance my web site!I guess its good enough to make use of some of your ideas!!

4. Marquita Truog on March 17, 2012 at 6:30 am

Being that I am new here, could you let me know where you got this information? I would like to research this some more.

5. clubbing clothes on March 16, 2012 at 6:37 pm

White wine is highly known for obtaining extremely sensual and classy alcoholic drink. It really is mainly accessible in yellow or golden color. White wine is widely appreciated all across the continents because of its delicious flavour. One can anytime pair white wine with white meat so as to produce a light meal looks delicious. But, to support all you starters for far better wine merging we’ve organized this white wine chef for starters.

6. Ramiro Farenbaugh on February 14, 2012 at 6:45 pm

This is my second time to your page, I love it every time!

7. Hassan Vrba on February 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm

It is the top information on this matter I’ve witnessed all week. Stick with it!

8. gary switch on February 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm

As a large business entrepreneur, I really loved the content on your posts. Thanks!

9. incorporating in ontario on January 27, 2012 at 11:34 am

Egads, am I ever happy I came to your website. Good stuff!

10. Free Zumba Online on January 25, 2012 at 4:42 pm

This is my fourth time to your website, I love it every time!

11. BLOG Feeding Politics on December 30, 2011 at 3:15 am

[…] considering how modern society is fighting obesity I wonder how much effect bottle v’s breast has on later life and should the government be […]